Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish
I'm actually pretty neurotic about finishing series once I've started them. Traditionally, I tend to read them straight through, because I like to keep the momentum of the story going. However, recently I've been spacing them out more, which always makes me nervous because I'm afraid I'll never get through them all, especially if there are lots of books already released.
I am actually in the middle of 25+ series, but most of them are ones that haven't released all the books - so they don't count for these purposes. Because I don't have a lot of unfinished series to list, I also wanted to list some of the (mostly) completed series that I would like to start.
Series I haven't finished but plan to complete:
1) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - I read the first book this summer as part of an awesome read-along but it was extremely long and emotional, so I just couldn't handle going right into the next one. I plan to keep reading, but there are so many books released already in the series and they just get longer and longer, which has me quite overwhelmed!
2) Chaos Walking by Patrick Ness - HOLD ON Todd and Viola, I'm coming back to you! I've read The Knife of Never Letting Go and hope to finish this series this fall.
3) Uglies by Scott Westerfield - This is an example of a series where I read the first book and just haven't made it back to read the next two. Also, I really didn't care for the heroine in Uglies, though I've been told I will like her more in Pretties. I hope to finish these soon.
Series I haven't finished because I just couldn't keep going:
4) Millennium trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) by Stieg Larsson - I will admit to being very hooked on the first story. But did not care for the main character's caviler attitude about relationships, and the level of sexual violence portrayed completely freaked me out, so I couldn't read the next two.
5) Nightshade by Andrea Creamer - This is a love triangle that I could not stand. All I remember about the first book in the trilogy is the main character making out with a different guy in each chapter. It made my head spin. However, I will admit to being interested in who Calla picked, and then going on line to find out what happened in the last book. I don't feel bad for doing this, or for not finishing the series. (Don't judge!)
6) Hush Hush trilogy by Becca Fitzpatrick - I read the first book and really didn't care for the heroine - or Patch for that matter (sorry!). Maybe I'll pick it up again one day and finish the series.
(Mostly)* completed series I haven't started, but want to:
7) Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles) by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl - The movie is coming soon! Hopefully I can get to this series before it comes out and all the library copies of this book get checked out.
8) Soul Screamers by Rachel Vincent - This one has been on my radar for a while now, but the series keeps getting longer and longer and I don't have time to commit to it all now.
9) River of Time by Lisa Tawn Bergren - Several bookish friends have told me how great these books are (and how swoonworthy the guys!).
10) The Queen's Thief by Megan Whalen Turner - I'm a bit embarrassed that I haven't read this one, but I plan to remedy that soon.
What series have you not finished?
What other series should I be reading?
* I picked series where there are at least 3 books released.
Keep going on the Chaos Walking series. It will knock your socks off. I should put Uglies on my incomplete list, too. But my list would be way longer if I added every series I started but have never completed. Sigh.ReplyDelete
With each TTT I look at, I find more and more series that I too have not finished but didn't even think about for my post. Hmm...ReplyDelete
As for Nightshade, I have that on my list as well. It seems to be a very popular pick this week.
I loved the Uglies series but I agree that Tally is kind of hard to like most of the time but it's part of what makes her and the series interesting. I don't regularly look at your blog so I'm sure which series you've read but I'd suggest Percy Jackson and the Olympians series to everyone.ReplyDelete
I haven't finished the Outlander books either. Although, I'm on A Breath of Snow and Ashes. I would say if you didn't like Tally in book one then you'd like her less throughout the rest of the series...But I adored those books! I haven't read Extras yet, though.ReplyDelete
My Top Ten
I have just finished the first book in the Caster series, I really enjoyed it you should get your hands on it soon. I agree with disliking Tally from Uglies, and I'm afraid to say I think it only gets worse. I have completed the series but I didn't enjoy it.ReplyDelete
I just started reading the second Outlander book. It is sooo long so I'm reading it between other things. lol I still need to finish the Caster Chronicles, Soul Screamers, River of Time and the Hush,Hush series. Sigh. Don't get me started on all the book series I still want to start as well. I'm drowning in books right now.ReplyDelete
7, 8, 9 and 10 are books I really want to read too, so we have quite a common taste! Outlander is on my list as well; I've read some of the books, but I stopped and never picked them up - such a shame.ReplyDelete
My top 10 Tuesday.
Ugh, Patch is the worst. THE WORST. I've only read the thief from the Whalen series, but it was amazing!!ReplyDelete
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete
I read Scorpio Races for you my friend...So you have to read Pretties, remember? ;) Yeah, I couldn't stand Tilly either, but she grew on me. Besides, that's NOT why I want you to read the book....... :)ReplyDelete
I have heard that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is pretty intense. I don't think I will be reading those books. I think I am in the same boat in terms of The Nightshade series. But I won't jump ship just yet. I may get to it eventually.ReplyDelete
My Top Ten Tuesday
The Chaos Walking trilogy - I'm in the same boat. LOVED the first one, but am a little hesitant to read something that intense 2 more times. I'll get over it and get them read soon. *grin*ReplyDelete
And for Uglies, may I just say - the 4th in the series was my favorite! So it's worth pushing through.
Great list - thanks for sharing!
I still haven't read Outlender & Chaos Walking series, and I've read only Uglies, too.ReplyDelete
I've read only the 1st Larsson book, too, but I haven't decided if I'll read the sequels, I probably will.
Haven't read Nightshade, but sounds awful, at least for me ;) yeah, I'm not a fan of love triangles :)
I'm also not a fan of Hush Hush, too, I think that the heroine (I forgot her name) was an idiot, so I won't be reading the rest of the series ever.
I love BC, so I hope you will love it, too! I'm planning to finish the series this year :)
And I'm a huge fan of the Soul Screamers series :) I've read them all (inscluding the short stories & novellas) this year, and fell in love with the series, and the last 7th book will be out in spring, so you can start reading them ;)
And you're not the only one, I still haven't read The Queen's Thief, too.
Great TTT & thanks for visiting me!
I'm in the same boat with you about the Uglies series (read bk's 1 and 2), Beautiful Creatures (own Beautiful Darkness but haven't read it yet) and of course you know I feel very much like you when it comes to Outlander!ReplyDelete
I am one of the few whodid not care for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo AT ALL. Way TOO graphic for me. Blech. Plus I didn't find the male lead in it attactive in the slightest.
I want to continue with The Chaos Walking series too! Maybe we can read it together? I know most everyone loves the series but it was pretty intense (The DOG. THAT freaking destroyed me) so I wanted to take a break for a bit.
I loved The Uglies Series, so I definitely recommend you finish that and The Queen's Thief Series is so, so, so, so, SO good! :D I do have to agree with you thought - I hated Nightshade and Hush,Hush both and The River of Time didn't work out for me either, but I hope you enjoy it! Awesome list this week!(:ReplyDelete
Ivy Book Bindings
3. That series is why I began reading YA. Tally gets better, I think. I want to re-read it. Let me know if you ever pick it back up.
4. I fought my way through book one. Book Two was INCREDIBLE. Like, WOW. I don't know that I'll ever read book three because I don't think I can say goodbye to this series, particularly since it is literally unfinished.
5. I don't know that I'll ever read these books because I don't like any of the covers and I don't typically love wolves at all. (I only read Mercy Falls b/c of Maggie's writing. SO SHALLOW I AM.)
6. I've not read these books but people seem really fanatic about them. Love the covers.
7. I've always seen mixed reviews of Beautiful Creatures. The authors will be at Yallfest in November - maybe this will spark my interest.
8. I'm having a FIT to read Soul Screamers. Several trusted blogger friends have recommended and campaigned HARD for me to read this one. I want to blow through it sometime.
9. I've heard such great things about this series and some bloggers that I didn't really think would like these books have loved them. Eventually I need to read them. It's just the historical thing...I'm already s-l-o-w-l-y doing Outlander, ya know?
10. Elizabeth Fama talks this series up so much that I WILL get to it as soon as I can. She absolutely loves it. Plus I think the first book is an award-winner and I love those.
I'm interested in the other series you're currently reading. I'm in the middle of like a million too, but I don't stress it. I LOVE series. I actually prefer them over standalones.