Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke & The Bookish
Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects
I realize that I tend to list the same few books over and over again, so I purposefully tried to include ones that I haven't talked about a lot - or at all. All of the books I chose below affected me strongly.
Spoiler warning: Some of the subjects in these books are self explanatory, but some of the specific issues could be a spoiler if you haven't read the book yet. I made the title big and put the issues under that, and typed very small the issue, so it's easily skipped over.
1) Sold by Patricia McCormick
2) Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
Suicide, child molestation
3) Me Before You by JoJo Moyes
quadriplegia, physician assisted suicide
4) What Happens Next by Colleen Clayton
Date rape, eating disorders
5) Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
6) You Against Me by Jenny Downham
Rape, including a trial
7) North Of Beautiful by Justina Chen
MC has a large birthmark on her cheek: explores beauty and self worth.
8) Small Damages by Beth Kephart
9) Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta
10) Lovely, Dark and Deep by Amy McNamara
grief, multiple sclerosis
Three Recent Reads:
The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler - early onset Alzheimer's
Wild Awake by Hillary T. Smith - mental illness (hypomania, schizophrenia)
Vain by Fisher Amelie - Children/families affected by Joseph Kony's rule in Africa.
The Summer Series Challenge is coming soon!
Have you signed up yet?